Results from brainstorming at February 1, 2012 quarterly liaison meeting:
Main marketing goal is to promote AalDE statewide, to funders, colleagues, patrons, students, schools. It “makes our library services relevant”.
Need measurable goals – not everything below is measurable.
To have every public library in Delaware provide chat service by December 31, 2014.
- Every student in DE will know about AaLDE
- Step one: Intern is compiling list of school librarians and contacts, including meetings to attend.
- Step two: Outreach to schools/class visits. First class visit – Dickinson High School in March, 2012.
- Step three: Attend meetings on varied levels, such as school events, PTA, teachers’ meetings.
- Step four: Develop partners. School librarians as chatting librarians.
- Every student will use AaLDE. (Note: not sure how to ensure this is completed, but it’s a good goal.)
- Have every Delaware library’s website show the AaLDE logo and link to chat. See the AaLDE online presence on libraries’ sites 2012 compiled in May, 2012.
- Have an app (in the works – QP announced they hired a developer who will work on librarian and user interface, and they are going with a “Flashless” chat by the end of 2012). However, Boopsie works with the Qwidget and this is free for mobile devices. Note that for the Qwidget to be 247, our question-answering rate must be maintained at 75% or higher.
- Incorporate AaLDE into libraries’ computer classes.
- Plug AaLDE into library programs.
- Use New Castle County TV and other local media outlets.
- Face to face (in library) staff promotion. To make this effective, it is suggested to have staff try it out as a patron
- Have a contest similar to Anne Arundel County Public Library’s “Win a Nook” promotion for staff and patrons.
- Hand out swag’
provided by DDL-Wish list:
- USB Flash drives
- Highlighters: (on order/May 2012)
- Sticky notes (small ‘flag’ types)
- Chat Hats
Developed by AaLDE- Wish list:
- “Library is closed- we’re always open” sign (done! See the Marketing page)
- Bookmarks (we have two to start with on the Marketing page)
- Facebook account
- Desk Signs
- “On chat now” signs
- Google and ads (DDL idea)
- Need snappy tag line. Something like, “Need ideas? Have questions? Just ask!”
- PSAs and Posters “I’m a chatting librarian”
- Have chatting librarians give testimonials (videos and live at town meetings)
- Break out “librarian” and use lay language about what that means (ie: “find information” “homework help assistance”)
Ways to implement:
- Partner providers with non-providers to advocate and promote
- Have more ways to access (IM, texting, mobile devices)
- Integrate into all new staff training
- Integrate into reference services job descriptions/evaluations