Helpful Resources to Assist Patrons
Help with Question-Answering like a Reference Librarian
The following provides you with tips and guidelines to help make sure your experience on Ask a Librarian Delaware is as wonderful as possible, so you can easily concentrate on helping patrons without worrying about the software.
See also “How to” Guides on this site for steps on using LibAnswers software.
- Helpful Guides for assisting patrons with questions
- eBook help – see OverDrive’s Help
- How to make Blanket Holds on Sirsi/Workflows for requests from patrons who may need multiple copies of an item (thank you to Dave Giglio, Dover Public Library)
- Interlibrary Loan Presentation Slides from the University of Delaware Libraries
- FAQs – on Ask a Librarian DE, for commonly asked questions such as “how do I get a library card?”
- LibGuides/Subject Guides – In-depth information on many subjects (searchable)
- Reuse Answers – While responding to patrons, you can bring up either a FAQ or library staff’s previous reply that may be just the answer the patron needs. Once copied into your text box, simply edit and personalize your response before sending it to the patron. Voila’! It’s very easy!
- Article – “There Are No Stupid Questions”